Friday, May 6, 2016

Losing Focus



A lot can happen when you lose focus. 10 years ago I was focused, I was gonna go to university get a degree come home get a job pay it back in 5 years and then move to Canada. I did move back home, I did get a job, I did move to Canada but I didn't pay back my student loans. Why? Because I lost focus. My first year was quiet. I went to church I joined the master guides, I went camping, youth retreats, blitz, I did all of it. But in my second year I lost focus. I figured that since I was getting good grades and had money to spend (banks money) that I could afford to drink, party, and just have a good time. By God's grace I graduated with honors and came home. At first I was working at the bank again but I knew that wasn't my final destination. I became a probation officer and learnt the ins and outs of the justice system. I was making ten times the amount I was making at my first job as a tour guide and I was on cloud 10. I thought the world was at my feet. My master plan was to as I said before was to pay off my debt and move to Canada but I never wrote I down, I never made an action plan I never truly committed to my plan and there in laid my demise. Once girls entered the equation that was it. One girl in particular who was my main inspiration for moving to Canada came into my life but the timing wasn't right. What should've been a moment in time turned out to be a season of hurt. Mainly because I was still hurting. So as much as the pipe dream was alive, I lacked the fortitude to realize that long term I had nothing to offer simply because I hadn't planned what was gonna really take place after I go there. The lesson I'm learning now is that planning and execution are more important than having dreams. Anyone can have dreams but not everyone can achieve them. For me I have achieved some while failing at others. At age 30 I have a bachelors degree in psychology and a post graduate diploma in Human Resources Management as well as a certified human resources professional. But with all that I have moments where I feel like a failure for racking up credit card debt and student loans that could've been repaid by now. Now at age 30 I'm starting over again. The next 10 years of my life will definitely be interesting as I try to figure out where to go from here. My advice to anyone trying to accomplish anything is to stay focused. Distractions are gonna come and they're going to be lots of them but remain focus. Write your goals down and plan to execute them one phase at a time. You might be the odd one out not going out on a Saturday night with your friends but trust me when I say it'll be worth it. Your long term pay off will be much greater than anything short lived, trust me I've been there. A lot can happen when you lose focus but great things can happen once you achieve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment