Wednesday, November 23, 2011

My Business

Through the coercing of a very good friend (Kerri Gore) I was gently persuaded to join her in attending a small business workshop for the sole purpose of her having someone in the class that she is familiar with. My apprehensions were not many so I decided to go along. Luckily enough the coordinators had room for one more member. And as such I was now a participant in the Community First Cooperative Credit Union Second Empowerment Session. I had no idea what to expect other than being lead through the procedure of registering a business in Antigua of which I was already aware. However the information and knowledge I walked away with was anything short of remarkable. Luckily there was a consultant on island from South Africa who spoke to us about “Developing a culture of Entrepreneurship”. Mr. Lourens’ presentation was inspiring to say the least. Two things that stood out were his notion that as entrepreneurs we should not be “trying” to start our own business but rather “starting” our own businesses. His six degrees of separation also hit home as I had a college professor who migrated to South Africa some years ago but returned to lecture in Trinidad while his family remained. I automatically began thinking that if I desperately needed to get a package to Mr. Lourens using only six persons that I could accomplish such a feat rather easily.

Listening to the presentations from the Credit Unions General Manager and President gave me the impression that they are genuinely concerned not only about the future of their Credit Union but also the future of its members and by extension the country. It was a humbling yet stimulating experience that has caused me to ponder not only about my finances but life in general.



Stopping short of writing a small booklet on my experience, I decided to simply make two lists of things I learnt from the sessions.

Ten myths about Entrepreneurs.

1. They are born and not cultivated.

2. They are gamblers.

3. They desire to always be the only person in charge.

4. They work longer and harder than managers in large corporations.

5. Should be young and energetic.

6. Money is their only motivator.

7. Success will follow in a year or two if they are talented.

8. They are lone wolves who operate better outside the pack.

9. Endure a great deal of stress.

10. Most Entrepreneurs are millionaires.

Ten things I learnt from the seminar.

1. Anyone can have a good idea for a business.

2. Getting your business from the idea stage to the operating stage is no easier than trying to walk to the
moon.

3. You will never have too much information about the field of business you plan to get into.

4. Sharing your ideas can be beneficial- even with your competitors.

5. Money is not always your major motivator.

6. Proper planning is equally important as proper execution.

7. Hiring an accountant to manage your finances is tantamount to hiring an astronaut to take you to the moon.

8. Quitting your day job before your idea has started to generate revenue may not be a wise idea.

9. Catching a humming bird may be easier than acquiring a business loan.

10. Trying to reinvent the wheel is not a good idea.


Those pursuing the goal of owning their own business may find this website useful; http://www.bransoncentre.org/Caribbean/home.html.

3 comments:

  1. Glad I could be of some assistance. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Two things that stood out were his notion that as entrepreneurs we should not be “trying” to start our own business but rather “starting” our own businesses." very interesting and insightful. also glad to see two of my favourite ppl connecting.

    ReplyDelete