Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Weekend Road Warrior 10k Edition

So just a month and some days after I embarked upon my first marathon I found myself signing up for my second and waiting patiently on the third. As is always the norm thousands/millions of people the world over resolve to make weight loss and fitness their first and foremost resolution to begin the new year. As such the Medical Benefit Scheme in Antigua strives to help individuals stick to their resolutions. Hence they host a resolution fun run/walk every January to provide individuals with the necessary motivation that they need to get off the couch and out onto the open road. I was excited beyond words when I saw the ad in the paper a few weeks a go and immediately started to spread the word to friends and family members who I figured may be interested in taking up the challenge. Strength definitely abounds in number as at least 1,000 persons turned out to this event.

Needless to say that it was not as taxing on my body as the 15k I did in December. This may attributed to the mental fact that I knew it was 5k shorter or that I made the journey with several person from the 5A.M. Hike Club (Kerri, Bappy, Grainas, and Paula just to name a few) either way it was one for the history books. We made the mark in 1.5 hours with souls still in check.

Luckily the Medical Benefit Scheme has at least one such event planned for the remainder of the year, so those of you (myself included)who may fall off their exercise regime their will be moments of redemption readily available.

So if you have not begun to put the pedal to the medal where your health/fitness is concerned now is a good as time as ever. After all it is only 24 days into the new year. So if your lacking motivation just take a look in the mirror and tell your self ... self" we can do better than this". Unless self trains 7 times a week for marathons then self is on the right path and should take one for the team and miss a day so we could all be on the same page.

So in the words of the most interesting

man alive "stay thirsty my friends".

No comments:

Post a Comment