Monday, January 9, 2012

Motivated Mondays 2012 Edition

So on the first Monday of the year I must admit that I feel incredibly amazing. So much so that I almost wanted to stay home this morning and bask in the glory of the first Monday of 2012. The ride to work seemed too short as well as the hours seem to be passing by too quickly for my liking. Needless to say … I am having a great day. I’ve got on new pants and new shoes and by golly gosh darn it I feel brand new.

I opted not to write my first blog post for the year until I felt 100% like the motivational force that I sometimes convince myself that I am. Alas 2011 is no more and 2012 is just bursting with possibilities, pleasantries, and pure prosperity and pleasure (in case you have not seen Mr. Poppers Penguins, it might give you a case of the P’s).
So this is me telling you to grab 2012 by the horns and ride her till the wheels fall off. The start of a new year is more often than not the ideal time to get on whatever band wagon you need to get on. Whether it is personal, financial, spiritual, mental, emotional, or physical now seems more than likely the opportunity to get off the couch and start doing something with your life.

I may be wrong but I would bet the farm that gyms across the world see an increase in membership in the first few months of the year as well as supermarkets may sell more yogurt and fat free foods. For all intent and purpose it just seems like the most wonderful time of the year (after all Christmas was only a few days ago and we are still basking in its after glory).

On to the topic of resolutions, I thought to myself that most resolutions come as we would have done the opposite to the things we now resolve to accomplish. And then it hit me, if we did not fail at something last year we would not resolve to make it better this year. As such what we need is clarity. Let me explain with an example: For the first three months of last year I saved not a penny. Not that I am a shopaholic, I merely depended on my own will to take the money from one account and place it into another (big mistake). What became clear to me was that things will always pop up and unless you are a Shaolin Monk who is disciplined beyond belief, then more than likely you might falter. My plan was then to make my savings automatic from one institution to another eliminating myself (unreliable third party) and entrusting it to a more reliable source (barring a financial meltdown that is). Thus began my saving which has continued into this New Year. My resolution was to save but my clarity came as I realized that my will power was not my safest ally in this battle for better finances.

As may be the case for some us who join a gym with the intentions of gyming (not actual word) everyday but falter by the wayside under the guise of “I’ll go tomorrow and stay an extra hour, it’s raining, I’ll go on my day off, on the weekend for sure etc. etc. etc.” This by no means is speculation but excuses that I myself have given for my lack of effort. My clarity for my failed achievement of my six pack (at least 10 years in the making) came as I realized that my body by Jake transformation will not be swift and sever but slow and painful. As is I have resolved that fitness is a lifestyle and not a goal to be achieved (or whatever helps me sleep at nights).

So whether your battling finances, spirituality, personal growth, relationships etc etc. there is no time like the present to make a new start.

New beginnings call for new experiences and new experiences call for new adventures. After all life is an amazing adventure. So plot a course not simply for a “better” you but for a you that embraces the changes necessary to live a more fulfilled life.

P.S. don’t beat yourself up about things that don’t work out the way they should…Everything happens for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment